Wednesday 24 June 2015

Pantry Challenge – day 15

So, it’s been 15 days since I started this pantry challenge. I don’t really feel any different than before it began, although I do have to say that I am having a bit of fun seeing what I can combine that may not be obvious at first. My homemade pasta salad dressing has always been Miracle Whip with dill & parsley, but recently I added yellow mustard to that, & it was so good that I’ve decided to always add it to my pasta salad, unless I’m following a specific recipe that’s different than my own. This is one example of that. Another is using tomato soup when I’d normally use tomato paste. Well, OK, so this isn’t really all that far off the mark, & tomato soup isn’t nearly as thick as tomato paste, but it works & does the trick. One thing about this challenge, too, is seeing what I can use as substitutions for what I don’t have but need.

I froze some spiral pasta in the freezer very close to the beginning of this challenge, & I took it out this morning to thaw it out. So I mixed up a batch of my dressing to go with it. I’m using chicken as the protein part of it since I have no cheese. Well, I do, but it’s cream cheese, & I don’t want to see how that goes – or not – together. Besides, I like chicken. So it’s all working out.

A treat that I discovered but wasn’t really surprised at is a banana with Nutella. I like both a lot & bananas & chocolate go really well together.

This is a short post today, but I just wanted to drop a quick line. I still have to go through my pantry & freezer & take an inventory of it, but I will. If it’s not too hot this coming weekend, I will. We’re supposed to have a heat wave starting tomorrow – ugh! Summer started early this year & it’s supposed to be a very hot one. I am NOT looking forward to that. The heat doesn’t agree with me. I’ll make it through, though. Thankfully I have lots of fans, &, yes, hydration is high on my list of priorities. I have plenty of fruit & I’ll be making smoothies, which I find are good things to keep hydrated in tasty ways, & they have nutrition as well. Of course the best way to get the nutrition from fruit is to eat them whole & as they are, but it never hurts to have them in smoothies or in other ways. Better than other things that could be eaten.

Well, that’s it for today! Have a good one, y’all! Open-mouthed smile

No comments:

Post a Comment